||Prepares nutritionally balanced, attractive family-style meals for Oakhurst Learning Center children which meet state and federal nutritional requirements for children. Keeps an accurate inventory of supplies. Childcare has special demands in that we care for children who in many instances, cannot care for themselves. It is critical that the Cook is mentally and physically fit to perform the duties outlined in this job description.
Planning, Preparation, and Maintenance of Equipment:
• Is knowledgeable of state nutritional requirements of children.
• Plans, posts and follows approved menus that are nutritionally sound, making substitutions as needed, keeps accurate inventory records and places food order, all within Center food budget (tasks may be shared or alternated with Director).
• Chops, cuts and prepares and serves food in amounts that are based on the number of children and staff eating that day.
• Serves food at appropriate temperatures and in appropriate serving containers, i.e., not sending cans and/or large hot pans into the classroom.
• Maintains effective, safe storage for food, cooking and serving supplies, equipment and utensils, and cleaning supplies in accordance with the state and/or local regulation.
• Keeps the refrigerator, stove and hood, can opener, and other appliances clean and in good working order.
• Cleans the kitchen counters and shelves, (spills on floors as needed).
• Lifts and carries bulk food appropriately when delivered and stores food on shelves above and below counter level in accordance with safety guidelines. May involve use of a footstool. Physical demand: 10 to 60 lbs.
Safety and Sanitary Procedures:
• Follows Oakhurst Learning Center and local regulatory health, safety, and hygiene procedures including but not limited to lifting, carrying (pan, dishes, & cans), hand washing, etc.
• Responsible for being aware and following the Allergy Chart for Children.
• Empties and cleans trash and garbage cans, Physical demand 10-60 lbs.
• Washes and sanitizes dishes and cookware using sanitizing methods as determined by local Health Department.
• Understands emergency procedures and what to do in cases including but not limited to: fire, tornado, and hurricane, CPR/First Aid when necessary; including lifting and carrying injured children.
• Ask for help and assistance when needed.
• Maintains positive and supportive business, licensing and regulatory relationships.
• Works in harmony with other center staff and shows enthusiasm toward the job. Handles routine situations with good judgment, flexibility, and good humor.
• Participates in and cooperates with group decisions; is a team player and attends school events.
• Establishes and maintains a friendly supportive rapport with the parents.
• Provides ongoing positive customer service to all parents at all times.
• Sees situations from the children’s point of view and shares the enjoyment of humorous situations.
• Encourages children to seek assistance and shows trust and confidence in them.
• Meets all requirements for Bus driving responsibilities if applicable.
• Responsible for the food ordering, supplies
• Responsible for a parent food event periodically throughout the year.
• Responsible for implementing new food ideas and concepts for children
• Other duties as assigned.
||• At least 18 years of age (21 if also responsible for driving the bus)
• Has relevant experience in a licensed child care facility kitchen, commercial kitchen, public school cafeteria, or equivalent.
• Is required to have food service/food handler’s permit or license according to state/local regulations.
• Will frequently lift or move average weight as in lifting, carrying, and holding children (10 to 60lbs.)
• Will occasionally move or lift average weight (10 to 60lbs.) in awkward or difficult position.
• Will rarely lift heavy weights (over 60lbs.) normally only in emergency situations. (Some children, equipment, or supplies may weigh more than 60 lbs.)
• Must be able to interact with children on the playground or in a classroom, i.e., run, jump, etc.
• Able to physically and mentally react immediately to unexpected circumstances.
• Seeks assistance to perform physical demands of the job if necessary, i.e., lifting or moving heavy weights.
• Must be able to stoop and bend to interact on child’s level.
Must be able to pass a employment drug screening and a level two background check